Saturday, November 7, 2009

On bigotry

Boredom is a funny state of mind. It makes you ask yourself funny questions.

So , I look at myself in a hypothetical mirror ( and I look really handsome!) and I ask myself - Am I a bigot?

The mind wants to say no. But the heart kicks the mind on its behind and says yes.

So. there it is, the war of the decision making centers in the body is over. I am a bigot. I walk away from this hypothetical mirror - it scares me. But asking questions which I can answer without the help of professor google is fun, it gives you the feeling of being an 'intellectual'. I will write more about these 'intellectuals' later.

As I was saying, talking to yourself is addictive. So, I ask myself another question - what's wrong with bigotry? Hmm..interesting. An easily answerable question if you know the exact meaning of bigotry. I am a lazy guy, I dont use the dictionary too often. So I try to extract the meaning of bigotry from the context in which it is commonly used.

Lets see...To be called a bigot is undoubtedly an insult. So 'bigot' is a bad word. A bigot is also hateful of someone or something so viciously that it clouds his reasoning. Here we reach another intellectual hurdle. My reasoning has always been clouded - sometimes by hate, sometimes by sleep, sometimes by pure ignorance( which by the way equal to bliss!) and of course, sometimes by alcohol. But let us sidestep this hurdle and head back to the main question- what is wrong with bigotry? Let us say that is has the possibility of hurting someone, of damaging relationships and on a societal scale, of causing turmoil.

Good, I am getting somewhere. So, it's wrong to be a bigot. But, hey what can I do to stop being one? Stop hating something or someone, start learning to love. This is where I have a problem. You donot condition yourself into loving something, there are somethings and some people that I instictively hate and it isn't any ordinary kind of hate, it is visceral hatred. What do I do?

Unfortunately, I am not bored anymore. I lack the enthusiasm to answer the question. I am content with the hate that I have. I shall return to being the un-enquring bigot.

1 comment:

  1. I am one as well! :) Btw, install wordweb dictionary on your computer. Hold down control and right click the word, it pops up the right meaning! :)

    ReplyDelete